Cinnamon Glazed Almonds – Disney Parks

Cinnamon Glazed Nuts

Sometimes the things that Disney has recipes for absolutely stuns me.  For example, I knew when I asked for The Grey Stuff at Be Our Guest, I’d be told that it wasn’t available (and it isn’t…  They gave me enough hints that I could copy it, but no exact recipe).  But when I was given a recipe for the famous glazed almonds instead, honestly, I was completely shocked.  I didn’t realize that they were made on property and not bought in, but secondly, I didn’t know it was something that you could even make at home.

Of course, now having seen the recipe and made it myself, I feel really dumb for assuming that this was some complicated recipe or drawn out process.  It’s actually stupidly easy and I had all the ingredients on-hand, save for the almonds.

Cinnamon glazed almonds have been at Disney for as long as I can remember…  I’ve always gotten these at the nut cart in Adventureland at Magic Kingdom and at a little cart tucked away between France and Morocco in the World Showcase at EPCOT.  I find them occasionally at fairs and festivals here in New Hampshire pretty regularly, but honestly I think they taste way better at Disney.  These will have a special place in my heart because, on my last trip, we were on our last trip to the park before the dreaded Magical Express…  We still had most of our snack credits left, so on impulse, we bought like 5 bags after finishing our last ride of the trip (Pirates of the Caribbean…  Sigh).  They were also the only food I brought back home so that I’d have a memory of Disney at home.  The memory didn’t last long…  I ate the whole bag while unpacking the next day.  So sad!

The big key to this recipe is to make sure that the egg whites and sugar are beaten very, very well.  While the mixture will be close to stiff peaks, it’ll be more like the consistency of Cool Whip.  As far as cooking goes, the more spread out the mixture, the better it will cook.  The first two, maybe even three times I checked this, I was certain I’d ruined it.  But by the time I came back for the 4th check, they looked just like what I see around Magic Kingdom and EPCOT’s snack wagons.  They are amazing fresh out of the oven, but just as good at room temperature.

~~~~  °o°  ~~~~
Cinnamon Glazed Almonds
As is served at snack carts in Adventureland, Magic Kingdom, and World Showcase, EPCOT

°o°  1/3 cup butter
°o°  2 egg whites

°o°  Up to 2 teaspoons salt
°o°  1 cup granulated white sugar
°o°  4 teaspoons cinnamon
°o°  16 ounces whole almonds

Preheat oven to 325.  Melt butter in oven-safe bowl or cup, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat egg whites with an electric mixer with salt until frothy.  Gradually add sugar and beat vigorously until the mixture is thickened and stiff peaks form.  Add cinnamon and beat until fully blended.  Fold in almonds.  Pour in butter and stir.

Gently pour mixture onto foil-lined cookie sheet and spread the mixture to a single layer of nuts.  Bake for 10 minutes, stir, and return to oven for another 10 minutes.  Repeat 4-5 times, for a total cooking time of 40-50 minutes, or until mixture has glazed onto almonds and almonds are crisp.  Mixture will froth and foam during the early stages of baking, but will bake onto the nuts towards the end of the baking time.

Serve warm or at room temperature

~~~~  °o°  ~~~~

Comments

1. 1

Anonymous says

Thank you!!! We had these at Magic Kingdom after hunting down the heavenly aroma on our last night. So glad to have the recipe!

2. 3

Anonymous says

I tried to do these at home and my oven works very well and I burnt them twice, the third time I figured out I had to only mix them up twice. If I leave them in for another ten minutes then they burn.

3. 4

says

I'm glad everybody enjoyed them and yes, I have made these since this original recipe… One batch only needed two turns while the other batch needed all of them. I'm not sure if it's my oven or some other factor I'm missing. Thank you for the feedback!

4. 6

Anonymous says

I'll have to try this recipe. I used to work at the Magic Kingdom actually on one of the nut wagons back when they were in Fantasyland and Adventureland and I'm still kicking myself for not asking what the exact measurements were as everything came pre-measured and you just dumped it all in the pot. I don't remember egg whites. I remember cinnamon, sugar and vanilla as the only ingredients as well as the almonds and they were made similar to stovetop with an automatic constant stirring device. But I'll have to try this and see how it goes! Thanks for posting!

5. 8

Anonymous says

I made these and checked them every 10 minutes. First 10 minutes looking good, turn second 10 minutes turn, looking and smelling good, 5 minutes later smoke is pouring out of my oven and the nuts were TOTALLY burned. Total waste of money (nuts are so expensive!). If you are going to try it make sure you don't over cook!

6. 9

says

I grew up in Orlando and always made a beeline for these next to the Pirates ride each time I went to the Magic Kingdom, and then to the Tiki Room for the Dole Whip too! 😉 BTW, you originally could only find these at the Magic basketball games until Disney noticed the nut carts had the longest lines in the arena concourse. Regardless, I've been trying to find a recipe to make these for YEARS, and this is the closest I've found to the real thing! Kudos for such a great recipe!!!

7. 12

Anonymous says

I am so excited i found this because ever since i left Disney about two months ago i have been dreaming about those nuts!

• 17

Jerusha T. says

Disney makes on-site more foods than I would have guessed. But like you, I’m glad this is one of those things!

8. 22

says

Those look so delicious! I love reading your recipes and the way that you talk to us. You make it sound so easy. I would love to add these to a salad.

Trackbacks