Welcome to this month’s Blogorail Red Loop. Today we are sharing Disney inspired back to school ideas.
Why is it that when we talk about back-to-school, we focus on the kids?
As parents, making it to that day where we wave off the kids as they walk into a new school year is a pretty big deal for us too. Maybe you’re in mourning over how fast your kids are growing up, or perhaps you’re bummed at how quiet the house sounds without your kids running around… Or maybe you’re celebrating the fact that you’re not tripping over toys, listening to kids squabble, or repeating the phrase “go find something to do” for the thousandth time.
Either way, we need deserve to celebrate (or mourn) the fact school is finally starting. Parents… Here we are!
Have a Good Cry
That mother you see ugly crying in their car on the first day of school? Totally me. Doesn’t matter if it’s their first day of Kinder, first day of middle school, or one of the grades in the middle. I get out the Kleenex, I sob away and get it out of my system.
Crank Up the Tunes
With kids in the car, you can’t blast your music. It’s one of the pitfalls of parenthood nobody tells you about. But when I have the car to myself, it turns into a mini-concert hall featuring the vocal stylings of me. Nobody rocks the Mom SUV like me. Need some song suggestions? Try:
- “ABC” by The Jackson 5
- “Heigh-Ho” by Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Soundtrack
- “Since You Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson
- “Here I Go Again On My Own” by Whitesnake
- “Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah” by Song of the South Soundtrack
Real life? It doesn’t need you today. The dishes can wait. You can go back to work tomorrow. Today? Today is about fun! Now that we’ve gotten our cry out, anyway.
Have a Marathon… Of Grown-Up TV
We all know that no matter how much our love of Disney makes us feel like kids, we still have our movies and TV shows that are maybe not kid-friendly… And maybe with the kids around all day, you had to let your guilty TV indulgences slide to the back burner.
Well, today is a perfect day to binge watch all that stuff that has piled up in your queue. Last year, I watched almost 8 straight hours of “The Americans,” and I’m not even a little ashamed of it. It was awesome. I also recommend:
- “The Real Housewives of…” (Bravo, Hulu)
- “Once Upon a Time” (ABC, Hulu, Netflix)
- “Modern Family” (ABC, Hulu, Netflix)
- “Top Chef” (Bravo)
- “Game of Thrones” (HBO)
Call for Reinforcements
No need to sit alone if you don’t want to… Phone a friend, invite over a fellow parent who saw their little ones off to school, maybe even take your other half out for breakfast or a mini-date. After all, food fixes everything…
Speaking of Food…
If there was ever a day for comfort food, this would be it. Either you want to eat away your depression, or you finally get to eat as much amazing food as you want without having to share. Some of my favorite Disney-themed food indulgences are:
- Belgian Waffles with Berry Compote – Epcot
- Dole Whip – Aloha Isle
- Cinnamon Glazed Almonds – Magic Kingdom
- Queso Fundido – San Angel Inn
- Chocolate Lava Cake – California Grill
Let’s Toast to a New School Year
So parents, for better or worse, here we are. Another year of school, another moment where we’re forced to confront the reality that our kids are growing up. I say we share drink (responsibly) to toast this momentous and marvelous occasion. And what better way to do that than with this marvelous drink from Disney’s Pop Century Resort?
Sure, it’s pretty. Sure, it’s tasty. But it’s also a tribute to our own childhood. I mean, what kid didn’t grow up mesmerized by the hypnotic dance of lava in that glowing glass dome? I still remember when I got my first one as a Christmas gift 20 or so years ago.
Man, suddenly I feel so old… Sigh.
- 1¼ oz Bacardi Limon
- ¾ oz Blue Curacao
- 4 oz Sour Mix
- Splash of Sprite
- Rose's Grenadine, to taste
- Add Bacardi, Blue Curacao, sour mix, and Sprite to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously for 10-20 seconds. Strain into a cocktail glass or tumbler with ice.
- For lava effect, drizzle grenadine over top of cocktail before serving.
- Enjoy immediately. Enjoy responsibly. Do not drink and drive.
check out the other great posts from the Blogorail!
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail Red | Back to School | Disney Inspired Ideas Loop:
- 1st Stop – Adventurer Mom | Disney Back to School Printables
- 2nd Stop – Home is Where the Mouse Is | Put Some Character in Your Back to School Lunches
- 3rd Stop – The Delightful Life | 50+ Disney-Themed Printable Lunch Notes
- 4th Stop – Saving Up for Disney | Back-To-School DIY – Disney-Style Pencil Box
- 5th Stop – The Disney Chef | While The Kids Are Away The Adults Will Play